Africa Extravaganza

31 January 2006

More adventures to whet your appetite for the extraordinary

Guys! I am having so much fun! And thanks so much for all of your comments. I'm smiling like crazy now sitting in front of this computer.

So, on to what I've been up to. I helped to save a cheetah's life. Her name was Savannah, and she was being kept in the boma (an enclosure) in quaruntine before she could be released into the rest of the reserve. She needed to be darted so we could attach a radio collar and then take measurements of her teeth, paws, etc. so we could identify her prints and then if she killed anything or anybody we could use her teeth marks to tell if it was her or not. And also we could tell in subsequent captures if she was growing properly. Anyways, she ended up having a very severe allergic reaction to the drugs, and she went into shock. We (the ten volunteers standing around gaping at all of this) and all of our waterbottles were recruited to run like crazy back and forth between the fenceline of the boma, where her body was, and the watering hole in the interior. We shuttled water back and forth for an hour at least and we were able to keep her temperature down enough that she survived the ordeal after eventaully being carted off to the clinic in the back of an SUV.

On a separate occassion, we managed to get our truck relatively stuck with half of the hyena clan. The jueviniles were coming up and sniffing the bumper of our car--they were very very cute. And thier mother (Giggles) was digging around in the dam we were next to. She eventually retrieved a wildebeast leg she had cached there and feed the juveniles and then they all wandered off and we were able to get ourselves safely unstuck and back on the road. We got stuck again the next day, in the middle of the hottest day on earth, in the middle of a drainage that intersected with the road. I laid down in the only patch of shade I could find in the middle of the water for a half an hour before the calvary came to rescue us. It turns out we didn't need rescuing and we weren't even really stuck. Our staff member had not locked the wheels.

We have had a number of interesting and slightly freaky bug visitors in our house. We caputred one of them and are keeping him as a pet now--a solifuge named Loppy. Look up solifuges on google. They are freaky--and apparently they run to your shadow, so they will actually chase you around the house as long as you have your light on and are running away from them.

I am getting used to things here, really starting to settle in. And I am learning all sorts of things--pseudopenises included. And all the time I'm thinking of different things to research but I don't even have a library I can use anymore, do I? Everyone at the house is pretty much fantastic. The food could be improved for sure, but our fridge doesn't really keep things cold and our freezer doesn't freeze anything so there's not much we can do.

Ok, I'm off to help do the chores in town. Please be good without me. You'll get the picture of Luther next week, I hope.

Happy trails!

6 Comments:

At 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoa. i mean, whoa. looks like you found your large feline adventures. And the solifuges look like they would be good to have around, as long as they were on your side. But they only live for a year! That is sad. Guess it's probably not worth it to smuggle him back into the US. But you could scare all your friends with him, that would be fun. All the rest of your fish are still alive and happy. Plus the new sucker. My beta has taken to hiding under the rocks in his bowl and making lots of bubbles, which I think means he's happy. School is boring. The rhodes-robinson lobby just isn't the same without you. I am going to quit and come have adventures with you instead.

 
At 7:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there cade, well....i suppose im not surprised by your choice of pet and like the other guy said if i saw one of those things well.... lets just say im not as tough as you are. And as for giggles you should put a picture up! im kinda interested and to a certain extent im living vicariously through you haha.

 
At 12:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cady,
It is just so hard to believe that you are actually doing all this cool stuff, when here it is cold dark and rainy, and I am stuck in the lab. Your posts are very exciting--they always brighten my day! I like to make the solifuge photos my desktop when I am working in the lab--it scares people, but not me.
I really miss you!
But I am so glad that you are having this adventure and are writing about it!
Kate

 
At 1:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS
I gave your blog info to my mom--she is also so excited. And I tried to explain how to post things and look at comments, so if you are reading this, hello Mom--good job!
Kate

 
At 4:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cady Rose!
Well, I found your blog without the help of Jeffrey and without the help of your incorrect url. haha

I cannot believe all your stories. I can just see you in Cady Heaven right now...just like you would be if you were surrounded by a field of mushrooms. I'm soooo glad you are having such a good time. I definitely think it was your turn to go out of country.

Now you're playing with Cheetah's and Anne's swimming with dolphins and I am getting that traveling itch again. I love reading all your stories though-- and I'm glad you got to see Wallace and Gromit (wasn't it so funny?)

Take lots of pictures! and have lots of fun cause the time will fly by!
Be Safe and I love you Muchos!

 
At 9:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just discovered what happens if you click on Kate's blue highlighted name. Kate, you are one of a kind. You crack me up. Especially the blue highlighted name from your last post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home